Real love comes with real commitment, and that begins only after you’ve taken the vows. Here are a few pointers that have never failed (if you follow them, I’ll guarantee you a happy home until you and your wife reach 120).
1. Never criticize your wife, no matter what. In an environment free of criticism, she’ll blossom emotionally, and she’ll do everything in her power to please you, so ultimately, you won’t have anything to criticize.
2. Never make a negative remark about her parents or family. Call your in-laws once a week. If you develop a good relationship with them, your wife will forever hold you in high regard.
3. Never say “no” to your wife; if she asks for something that you can’t afford, tell her you’ll get it for her as soon as you have the money.
4. Spend a minimum of 30 minutes a day listening to your wife – not talking, just listening. Show her that her life is important to you. If possible, you should set aside an hour a day for quality communication time together (sitting in front of the TV with beer and pretzels is not quality communication time!).
5. Never go to bed angry.
6. Agree on a mutually-acceptable third party (a clergyman you trust, etc.) to air your differences.
7. Never say a derogatory word about your wife to anyone.
8. If your wife is displeased with you, don’t be angry; it’s usually a sign that The Almighty is displeased with you. Rather than arguing with her, do some soul-searching, and you’ll see how things work out.
9. Smile always, and try your best to speak softly to her always. Nothing makes a wife nervous like an angry husband.
10. The more you trust in G-d, the more you’ll develop inner strength. Wives love nothing more than a husband with inner strength.